Skip to main content

Mendham Township

Founded 1749

Mendham Township

Email a link to this web page.
Simply fill out this form and click Send.
*Fields in Red are required.
*You must enter a valid email
*You must enter a valid email.

News & Announcements

Mendham Township Official News & Announcements.  

Brace Yourself for Freezing Rain & Power Outages

Release Date: February 15, 2021
A Message from Mayor Sarah Neibart

An Ice Storm Warning will go in effect at 6:00pm tonight until tomorrow at 10:00am. During this time, road conditions will be extremely hazardous. Please be advised that the State of New Jersey is experiencing a salt shortage and we have been asked to utilize our inventory in the most efficient way possible without sacrificing the safety of our roadways. In Mendham Township, for our 83 miles of roads, each salt application requires about 80 tons of salt. Currently, we have enough for the incoming storm, but I ask that you do your best to stay off the roads from tonight through tomorrow afternoon. We will continue to exhaust all possible options to acquire salt so that we can be prepared for any future weather emergencies.
As the temperature decreases, icing is expected to weigh down branches and power lines.  
Please prepare yourself and your family for a possible power outage.
If you lose power, report your outage to JCP&L directly by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), or by visiting and clicking the “Report Outage” link on, or by texting 544487. Please have your account number on hand.
If you notice a downed power line or a tree blocking the road, do not go near it, and report it immediately by calling the non-emergency police number at: (973) 543-2581 and pressing 0 to speak to an operator or email:
Please reserve calling 911 for emergency situations.
As a reminder, generators can be a lifesaver during power outages, but such devices can also be dangerous if used or installed improperly. Never use a portable generator inside the house or in a closed or even open garage. Also, do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters, or other open flame heat sources to keep warm. These sources of heat can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to build up in your home. A fireplace can be helpful but if the chimney flue is not clear it can also become a hazard. It is important to always have working carbon monoxide detectors.
If you need assistance or someone to check on a community member, please email the Mendham Township OEM at: or call them at (973) 370-5905.
Stay safe,
Sarah Neibart
Mayor, Mendham Township